Thursday, March 19, 2009

Death in the Andes-by Vargas Llosa

I am reading the novel Death in the Andes. Unlike the last one of his I read, Conversation in the Cathedral, it is an easy read. It is about the Shining Path terrorists--terrucos as they are known in Peru. I recommend it highly--both books actually. I have no way of knowing this with certainty but it seems that if you want to really know about Peru--you have to read his books. He conveys an incredibly vivid image of the culture and the politics.

Someday I will go to Peru.

Anyway, I always knew Vargas Llosa ran for president of Peru but I always thought he ran sort of how Ron Paul ran here---as a passionate longshot. Apparently, though, he was the favorite but he failed to win a majority in the first round and was forced into a runoff with Fujimori. For various reasons, he lost his lead and Fujimori won the runoff. I think Peru wishes it could have that vote back, despite some of the good things Fujimori did: e.g. crushing the Senderistas (shining path) and implementing some free market reforms. But maybe Vargas Llosa wouldn't have made a good president--who knows?

UPDATE: I guess Peruvians don't want that vote back: 66% agree that Fujimori was the greatest Peruvian president ever.

No comments: